http://ukhealthcare.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/snow-day-banner.jpg 500 1200 UK HealthCare http://ukhealthcare.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/UKHCLogo288x73.jpg UK HealthCare2016-01-22 14:14:522016-01-22 14:14:52Tips for a fun, safe snow day
Snow days are a fun time for kids, but winter weather can be dangerous if the proper precautions aren’t taken. Here are some tips to make sure your child has an enjoyable day in the snow.
- Use the buddy system. Kids should play in the snow with one or more friends, and an adult should supervise children under the age of 8.
- Make sure kids take frequent breaks inside and that they’re staying well hydrated. Even in cold weather, it’s important to drink water after exercise and play.
- Check kids periodically to make sure clothing and shoes are warm and dry. Wet clothing should be removed immediately.
- Before kids head outside, dress them in layers. If they get too warm, they can remove one layer at a time.
- Use mittens instead of gloves.
- Make sure children always wear a hat and have their ears covered to prevent frostbite.
- When kids return inside, make sure to remove all wet clothing immediately.
- Kids should wear a fitted helmet while sledding. Ski and hockey helmets provide more protection than bike helmets.
- Ensure handles on the sled are secure before use.
- Children should never sled on or near roads.
- Always sit up or kneel on a sled. This helps prevent head and neck injuries.
- Children should not play in snow forts or tunnels. They can collapse and cause suffocation.
- Ensure kids stay away from snow banks near roadways. Snowplow drivers may not see children.
Source: Safe Kids Fayette County