UK HealthCare has been named a Healthcare Equality Index Leader for its efforts in delivering high-quality care to all patients, especially those in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) community.
The Human Right Campaign Foundation, the largest national LGBTQ civil rights advocacy group, awards this designation to healthcare facilities that “meet a deep and urgent need on the part of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans: the need for equitable, knowledgeable and welcoming healthcare, free from discrimination.”
Equality is demonstrated in policy development, best practices and education of the workforce as integral components of the patient care environment and culture.
To ensure that we continue along this path, a team at UK HealthCare works tirelessly to review policies, patient materials and the UK HealthCare website for inclusive language. The team also continues to explore innovative methods to educate our providers and staff about caring for LGBTQ patients and their families.
To date, numerous policies have been either created or updated to reflect inclusive language around areas such as gender identity, sexual orientation and gender expression. Key areas of focus with policy development include healthcare surrogates, visitation policy, end-of-life care, patient consent and bed placement of transgender patients.
Other areas of focus to strengthen our commitment to equal, safe patient care for all include:
- Development of the Transform Health Clinic, which provides care for LGBTQ patients with an emphasis on the unique needs of transgender patients;
- Employee benefit expansion to include coverage for gender confirming surgery along with hormone replacement therapy; and
- A campuswide assessment and signage for all single-stall restrooms for improved privacy.
We’re proud to be named a Healthcare Equality Index Leader, and we will continue to be committed to lifting the bar of excellence and challenging ourselves to be better. We will continue to not only be an example, but to set the example as leaders in providing safe, quality and equitable care to all people from all backgrounds in the Commonwealth and beyond.
- Learn more about UK’s Transform Health Clinic, which is working to increase LGBTQ health care engagement and provide safe clinical environments for LGBTQ individuals seeking treatment.
- Find out how providers at UK Adolescent Medicine are committed to providing specialized and comprehensive care for LGBTQ youth in an inclusive and safe environment.